Isaias left Wilson largely unscathed

Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.


Wilson escaped major damage from Hurricane Isaias as it swept through the state late Monday and early Tuesday, leaving several inches of rain in its wake. 

Peak wind gusts reached 43 mph at the Rocky Mount-Wilson Regional Airport, according to the National Weather Service’s Raleigh forecast office. 

Isaias’ eye passed over Wilson around 4 a.m., about five hours after making landfall near Ocean Isle Beach as a Category 1 hurricane packing 85 mph winds. City officials said Isaias had weakened and was nearing tropical storm stage at that point. 

Gordon Deno, Wilson County Emergency Management director, said Wilson was very fortunate. He said there were minimal power outages and no major damage reports. 

Emergency officials worked through the night as they monitored the storm’s activity. 

Wilson Energy responded overnight to scattered power outages caused by downed limbs, according to city officials. Wilson saw just under 200 outages at the storm’s peak, according to Rebecca Agner, communications and marketing director for the city of Wilson. Agner said no Greenlight Community Broadband outages were reported. 

Localized flooding also occurred on some streets, including in the Five Points area.


John Meade of Monticello Drive stood on Lafayette Avenue to watch Wilson Energy crews cut through a tree that fell across the road and snapped a power line Tuesday morning.

“It’s really unexpected,” Meade said. “We didn’t think it would be much of a storm, but it always whips something up that’s destructive. I’m just glad everybody’s OK.”

Meade said he’s familiar with hurricanes and tropical storms.

“We’ve been through a few,” Meade said. “That’s the thing. You just never know.”

Nathanial Grant Jr. walked to the end of his Albert Avenue driveway to see a Wilson Energy crew cutting a large limb off a power line across the street.

“I slept through it, really,” Grant said. “I went to sleep about 10. I understand that this area was fine, but up and down the I-95 corridor was worse.”  

Wilson Energy crews also sawed through a large tree that fell at the corner of Vance and Bragg streets. The massive tree downed power lines, and it took several crews to cut its massive trunk.