WILSON’S LOCAL PRINT AND DIGITAL COMMUNITY INSTITUTION SINCE 1896

Make your voice heard and boost voter turnout

Posted 2/11/20

For our form of government to work, the single most important thing you can do is vote!

When we all get out and vote, every vote makes a difference. As a group, our votes give power to the people …

Sign up to keep reading — IT'S FREE!

In an effort to improve our website and enhance our local coverage, WilsonTimes.com has switched to a membership model. Fill out the form below to create a free account. Once you're logged in, you can continue using the site as normal. You should remain logged in on your computer or device as long as you don’t clear your browser history/cookies.

Make your voice heard and boost voter turnout

Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.

Posted

For our form of government to work, the single most important thing you can do is vote!

When we all get out and vote, every vote makes a difference. As a group, our votes give power to the people for deciding who will be our representative. When someone does not vote, they give their voice to someone else. When too many people don’t vote, they may give their voice to a small group of voters.

As reported in The Wilson Times, in the 2018 election, Wilson had 56,675 registered voters and 28,778 people voted. That means that about 49% of the people of Wilson allowed the other 51% to decide for them. The 2018 election was a good turnout as elections go, but half the people of Wilson didn’t make their voice heard. We can do better to make sure our interests are represented in government.

I want to give a shout-out to the Wilson County Board of Elections for a lot of information posted on its website, including a complete list of races and candidate names — https://www.wilson-co.com/Home/ShowDocument?id=5691.

Do you know who is running for which office in this primary election? I was surprised to see there are more Libertarian presidential candidates than Democratic candidates. We don’t hear about that in the media. For Wilson County, early voting starts on Thursday, Feb. 13 and runs to Feb. 28. The primary election day is March 3.

This election allows you to pick the candidate to represent you in the general election. It is important that you research the candidates and know which one stands for your ideals and will work for your best interest.

A primary election is the first step in getting your voice heard in the government. I encourage everyone to get out and vote. Let’s make Wilson history on voter turnout and set the example for all of North Carolina!

Mick Rankin

Stantonsburg

The writer is the Republican candidate for N.C. House District 24. He does not face a primary opponent and will appear on general election ballots in November.

Comments