WILSON’S LOCAL PRINT AND DIGITAL COMMUNITY INSTITUTION SINCE 1896

Men face charges in 15 Wilson home break-ins

Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.

Posted

Two men face more than 60 combined charges in connection to a rash of home burglaries in the areas of Airport Boulevard and Nash Street.

In the last few weeks, police have been investigating numerous break-ins in those particular areas. On Thursday, police were dispatched to a burglary in progress in the 2700 block of Stedman Drive, according to Sgt. Steve Stroud. Officers not only saturated the area but also relied on witness information, which police said helped them find the suspects and suspect vehicles.

Police identified the suspects as 25-year-old Spencer B. King and 36-year-old Kenneth R. Barnes.

King, of 3405 Wescott Drive, is charged with 15 counts of breaking and entering, 12 counts of larceny after breaking and entering and four counts of larceny of a firearm. He received a $120,000 secured bond.

Barnes, of 701 Grove St., is charged with 15 counts of breaking and entering, 12 counts of larceny after breaking and entering, four counts of larceny of a firearm and a one count of obtaining property by false pretenses. He received a $50,000 secured bond.

Investigators executed a search warrant at Barnes’ home in hopes of finding any possible stolen property. Police said nothing was found.

Police say the charges are related to burglaries that have occurred in areas including Mallory Drive, Stedman Drive, American Eagle Lane, Wetherly Drive, Huntsmoor Lane, Rochester Court and Concord and Irene drives.

Officials expressed gratitude to residents, fellow law enforcement agencies and the N.C. Department of Motor Vehicle License and Theft Bureau for assistance in the case.

“The arrests of these two offenders are the result of the police and the community working together to address problems in the community,” said Wilson Police Chief Thomas Hopkins. “The key to keeping our community safe is the participation of our citizens and our officers working together. We will have zero tolerance of these types of criminal activities in our community. We will continue to mobilize each and every resource possible to focus on problem offenders. We will continue to engage the community in the policing process.”

WEST WILSON BURGLARIES

Police are still investigating a separate rash of home burglaries that have occurred since December in areas along N.C. 42 West to Forest Hills Road as well as Tarboro Street to Glendale Drive.

Last week, police and Crime Stoppers teamed up to offer a $1,000 reward leading to the arrests of those responsible in the west Wilson burglaries. Those areas include Wynfall Lane, Walnut Creek Drive, Boyette Drive, St. Christopher Circle and Katherine Court. Burglars are gaining access from the back of these homes and then stealing electronics, officials said.

Authorities hope residents will help them in solving those cases, too.

Police are encouraging residents to remain vigilant and to report all suspicious activity to 911 immediately.

Anyone with information in the home break-ins can contact Crime Stoppers anonymously at 252-243-2255 or the Wilson Police Department at 252-399-2323.

Comments