Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.
North Carolina reported its first COVID-19 associated deaths Wednesday morning.
A Cabarrus County person died Tuesday from complications associated with the virus, according to a press release from Gov. Roy Cooper’s office. Officials said the patient was in their late 70s and had several underlying medical conditions.
A second person in their 60s and from Virginia, who was traveling through North Carolina, also died from COVID-19 complications, the news release stated.
“We extend our deepest sympathies to the families and loved ones,” Cooper said in a statement. “This is a stark warning that for some people COVID-19 is a serious illness. All of us must do our part to stop the spread by staying at home as much as possible and practicing social distancing.”
Wilson County has had six confirmed positive cases, three of whom have recovered, according to county officials.
So far, North Carolina has had at least 504 confirmed cases of COVID-19, according to the latest data from the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services on Wednesday morning.