Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing to The Wilson Times.
CONTENTNEA ROCK QUARRY
In 1908 James Mulligan (who had arrived in Wilson in 1903 to construct the Raleigh and Pamilco Sound Railroad) opened a quarry on the left side of the road that goes W. from 301 at Contentnea Lake (Wiggins Mill). The rock was used for the first macadamized roads leading from Wilson. The quarry site is about 100 yards from the highway and is now filled with water. Another large pool about 100 yards W. of the first resulted from the extraction of large amounts of gravel at the time the adjacent road was paved.
Begins 1/2 mile S.E. of Boyette and runs E. into Robin Branch 1 3/4 miles E. of Boyette.
Begins 1 1/2 miles W. of Rock Ridge and flows S. into Contentnea Creek.
Named for the old Crossroads community within its boundaries, in west central Wilson County. Population in 1940--2,774, in 1950--2,934 and 1960--2,515.
Operated by David Daniel 1897-1904 at the Wiggins Mill/location.
In 1790 it was on Great Swamp, perhaps in the vicinity of the present Wilson-Wayne county line.
On Black Creek about one mile south of Lucama.
Site on Turner’s Swamp near the crossing of the first road S. of Black Creek.
Named for Ross Deans, apparently about 1900. Covers 23 acres with 8-feet maximum depth. Open to the public for fishing, swimming and boating. See Newsome’s Mill for location.
As early as 1769 over Toisnot Swamp at Dew’s Mill in Edgecombe County, on the colonial road from Tarboro to Smithfield.
By 1785 name of a crossing over Toisnot Swamp about where Route 58 bridge now stands.
At the Winstead’s Mill location. Bought by John Dew in 1751, heired by Arthur Dew in 1762, heired by Capt. William Dew in 1796, heired in 1821 by Temperance.
Established by John Dew in 1785 at the present Silver Lake location. Operated by Duncan Dew 1791-1802; by Patsey Dew, Jonathan Dew and Jonathan Dew Jr., 1802-47; and by Alfred Thompson and later by William Taylor 1847-71, when it became the Wiley Farmer Mill.
Begins over a mile E. of the town of Black Creek and flows E. into Contentnea Creek.
Community on the A.C.L. Railroad at U.S. 117 in south central Wilson County. Population about 20.
Named for John A. Driver; a synonym for the Sun community.
Flows northward into Bloomery Swamp just below Isaac Lamm’s Mill.
Named for Jacob William Dunn. A community about a half-mile east of Winstead’s Mill
DYE FLOWERS SWAMP
In 1783 somewhere N.W. of the present Elm City and near the head of Town Creek.
Named for Peter Eatman. On Juniper Creek just W. of its junction with Millstone Creek.
Named for Raymond Eatman. About 1 3/4 miles S.E. of Bullock’s School, 2 miles N.W. of Rock Ridge, and about one mile due south of Talbot on Flat Rock Branch, just E. of the road crossing it 3/4 miles E. of Healthy Plains Church.
A half-mile E. of Sims, where the Norfolk and Southern Railroad established a pass-track station many years ago.
In 1873 Toisnot Post Office succeeded Joyner’s Depot which lay one mile to the north. In 1891 it was renamed Elm City Post Office, partly because of the elm trees and partly because Toisnot looked like Fremont when carelessly written. The town of Toisnot was chartered in 1873 by the legislature, which changed the name to Elm City in 1891, to Toisnot in 1893, and back to Elm City in 1913. The altitude is 131 feet, and it lies seven miles N.N.E. of Wilson. In 1940 the population was 946, in 1950--- 839, and in 1960---729.
Encas Rural Station of the Wilson Post Office was established in 1944 to serve the Eastern North Carolina Sanitorium, which is on the eastern edge of Wilson.
Begins less than a mile E. of Stott’s Crossroads and flows S. and S. E. into Contentnea Creek 2 1/4 miles E. of Flower’s Mill.
Six miles W. of Wilson, 2 miles N. of Contentnea Creek and about a mile W. of Wiley Lamm’s Crossroads. Spencer Williamson had a post office there about 1901. A later location of Filmore was just W. of Stephen Boykin’s mill.
Hugh Johnston was a Wilson County historian who wrote these historical capsules that previously appeared in The Wilson Daily Times. They are reprinted from a volume of his “Looking Backward” series of books available at the Wilson County Public Library.